Media Center & credentials
Apply for Media Credentials
Credentials will be issued only to full-time staff members of media agencies. Because of the number of requests for sideline photographer credentials, no requests from freelance photographers will be honored. Credentials will not be issued for non-broadcasting radio representatives, weekly newspapers, journalism students, cutline writers, equipment carriers and other “assistants” for the sideline. Full credentialing rules can be found in the official Walk-On’s Independence Bowl Media Guide, in the below media information or on the credential application.
CREDENTIAL APPLICATION WILL OPEN AT LATER DATE
2018 Media Guide
View and download the 2018 Walk-On’s Independence Bowl Media Guide! For information about the 2018 Walk-On’s Independence Bowl, media guidelines, game history, I-Bowl records and more, click the link below. The 2018 Walk-On’s Independence Bowl media guide was created and edited by Erik Evenson, Director of Media and Community Relations, with assistance from the bowl staff. Photos provided by Roger Braniff Sr. and the Independence Bowl archives. Cover design by Erik Evenson. Printing provided by Ace Digital, LLC in Shreveport.
Media Information and Guidelines
Press Box Information
The press box is located on the west side of Independence Stadium, on levels P1 and P2. One elevator, located in the middle of the west side, leads to the press level of the stadium. Media will call is located at the media entrance on the west side of Independence Stadium, south of the elevator between gates 2 and 3 at the entrance marked as “Media/Vendor Gate.” Only persons possessing media passes are allowed access to the press level. Radio booths and coaches booths are located on P1, as well as access to the photo deck. The media seating area is located on P2.
ESPN will televise the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl for the 28th-consecutive year in 2019. The contract between the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl and ESPN extends through 2019.
Media Registration Room
The Media Hospitality Room will be at Residence Inn ShreveportBossier City/Downtown. Residence Inn will serve as the 2019 Media Headquarters. Credentials will be available for pick up in this location, and bowl representatives will be on hand to answer any questions.
Each credentialed media member is entitled to a complimentary Walk-On’s Independence Bowl gift when they check in at the Media Hospitality Room.
A free pre-game meal will be provided for members of the media in the media/interview room on the ground level of Independence Stadium in the south endzone area between the two locker rooms. The food will be served two hours prior to kickoff.
Complimentary Event Tickets
Every credentialed media member is entitled to one ticket to each of the following events when picking up their credential packet. Walk-On’s Independence Bowl officials ask that you please take a ticket only if you definitely plan on attending the following events:
- The Big Game Show
- FCA Breakfast
- Media Luncheon
Working Press Credentials
All requests for media credentials should be made through Sports Systems at www.sportssystems.com/indybowl. Emailed or faxed requests will not be accepted.
Media credentials will be issued in accordance with the following priority guidelines:
- Media agencies which cover the participating teams on a regular basis receive top priority
- Media agencies which cover the participating teams’ conferences on a regular basis
- National media agencies
- Sports editors and full-time writers for Louisiana’s daily newspapers
- Official school daily of participating schools (one seat and/or one sideline only) as space permits
- Media agencies with a minimum circulation of 100,000
- Media agencies with a minimum circulation of 50,000
- Television stations with a full-time sports director
- Student publications or departments representing the two participating institutions (yearbook, newspaper, radio station, alumni magazine, website, etc.). Maximum of one press box pass and one photo pass
- Only radio stations with a full-time sports director conducting daily sports talk shows will receive consideration for credentials
- Bloggers associated with major media organizations will be considered for credentials. National media organizations and those that cover the participating schools in the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl throughout the course of the year are the only organizations that will be considered.
Deadline for requesting credentials:
Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 5 p.m.
Media credentials are issued for official business only. No spouses, or children, except those performing in a working capacity, will be allowed in the Independence Stadium press box or on the sideline. This will be strictly enforced. NO ONE UNDER 18 ALLOWED IN THE PRESS BOX, MEDIA ROOM OR ON THE SIDELINES.
Credentials are NON-TRANSFERABLE. The Independence Bowl Foundation reserves the right to revoke any credential used by an individual not fully accredited, or any individual not in compliance with press box and/or field photography standards.
Entities requesting credentials will be asked to supply specific names and functions. Only the persons whose names were officially supplied will be issued credentials.
Sideline access is restricted to working photographers from media outlets according to NCAA rules and will be extremely limited. The Independence Bowl Foundation reserves the right to restrict and/or rescind sideline passes. All photographers will be required to wear a photo vest to gain field access. Photo vests can be picked up at the registration table outside of the entrance to the media workroom in the south endzone.
Credentials will be issued only to full-time staff members of media agencies. Because of the number of requests for sideline photographer credentials, no requests from freelance photographers will be honored. Credentials will not be issued for non-broadcasting radio representatives, weekly newspapers, journalism students, cutline writers, equipment carriers and other “assistants” for the sideline.
Credentials for sideline photographers will be issued on the same basis or priority granted to working press:
- Credentials are NON-TRANSFERABLE. The Independence Bowl Foundation reserves the right to revoke any credential used by an individual not fully accredited, or not in a working capacity.
- Photo credentials and vests must be worn in plain sight at all times. Persons with sideline access must secure photo vests necessary for admittance to the field at the registration table outside of the media workroom in the south endzone of Independence Stadium on game day.
- Anyone wearing a photo credential and not shooting game action will be required to surrender their credential and leave the stadium immediately.
- Photographers are permitted on either sideline or endline.
- Persons with sideline access are not permitted within the TEAM BENCH AREA (inside the 25-yard lines) at any time. NO EXCEPTIONS. Persons in violation of this policy will be required to surrender their credential and leave the stadium.
- Persons with sideline access must remain behind the 12-foot restraining line surrounding the playing field at all times. Photographers are not allowed on the playing field at any time.
- No cameras are permitted in the sideline area other than those shooting in a working capacity for official media organizations.
- All persons possessing photo credentials must have proper professional equipment and be shooting actual game action.
- Television stations will be limited to one (1) sideline photo credential.
- Credentials will not be issued to assistants or “grips.”
- Television standup reporters will not be permitted on the sideline during the game. With five minutes remaining in the game, media will be escorted to the field for post-game coverage.
- Acceptance of credentials constitutes agreement by the bearer and his/her media organization to abide by the conditions as prescribed above by the Independence Bowl Foundation.
- All credentials remain the property of the Independence Bowl Foundation and must be surrendered upon request.
ESPN Television Policy
- ESPN Sports has exclusive television rights to the 2019 Walk-On’s Independence Bowl.
- ESPN standup reporters and camera people with proper credentials will be permitted on the sidelines.
- Beginning one hour before kickoff (2:00 p.m. CT), there will be absolutely no live telecasts or transmissions from inside Independence Stadium. This blackout period will continue until ESPN has concluded its telecast.
- Microwave transmissions are not permitted within the stadium. All satellite trucks must be positioned outside Independence Stadium.
Media Accommodations and Services
Media Headquarters: The Residence Inn Shreveport-Bossier City/Downtown will serve as this year’s Media Headquarters. The Media Hospitality Room will begin operations on Monday, December 23 at 2 p.m. This room will be set up for the media with everything from media guides, daily practice notes and quotes, credentials and schedules for events, with updates throughout the week.
All rooms within the media block not guaranteed with a credit card or a deposit will be released on Saturday, December 14 at 5 p.m.
To assure the group discount and availability of rooms, reservations must be received prior to December 14. Media must state that they are part of the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl media block. All reservations must be made by either calling the hotel directly or booking online. Media can call the number listed below to reach reservations. Online reservations will also be available via www.marriott.com/shvrb. You will need a special code obtained through Erik Evenson.
Residence Inn Shreveport-Bossier City/Downtown
501 Traffic Street, Bossier City, LA 71111
Phone: (318) 584-7125
Credential Pickup: Media representatives may claim credentials at the media headquarters beginning Monday, December 23, at 2 p.m. Individuals may claim all passes issued to his/her media organization. Lost or misplaced credentials will not be replaced. All media credentials remain the property of the Independence Bowl Foundation and must be surrendered upon request.
Media Will Call: Credentials will be transferred from the hotel to Independence Stadium by 12:00 p.m. on December 26. Parking passes will be left at the front desk of the Media Hotel for pickup. If you plan on picking up your credential at the stadium, you MUST pick up your parking pass at the hotel prior to your arrival at the stadium. Media Will Call is located between gates 2 and 3 adjacent to the west side elevator at the entrance marked as “Media/Vendor Gate.”
Game Week Media Services
Copy and Fax Service: Copy and fax services will be available at the Residence Inn Shreveport-Bossier City/Downtown.
Daily Practice Notes & Quotes: The Walk-On’s Independence Bowl will provide daily practice notes and quotes in the Media Hospitality Room from the participating teams after practices have concluded.
Stadium Access: Media wishing to enter Independence Stadium prior to game day for television and radio reports and photographs, etc., at times other than scheduled practices, should contact Catherine Kennedy, stadium manager at (318) 658-5794.
Media Access: The media gate is located at the southwest side of Independence Stadium. The elevator to the press box and photo deck is located on the west side of the stadium between gates 2 and 3 at the entrance marked as “Media/Vendor Gate”.
Independence Stadium Press Box: The press box area is located on levels P1 and P2 on the west side of the stadium. The main writers’ room is located on P2, along with the two athletic director booths.
Photographers will need to show field security their credential and photo vest in order to receive field access.
Elevator: A press box elevator is located on the west side of the stadium.
Pre-Game Media Information: Upon arrival at the stadium, media members will receive a media packet with game program, flip card, game-day notes, team notes and a media guide, at their seats.
Statistics: The play-by-play account, quarter statistics, final statistics and coaches and player quotes will be distributed. Also, a play-by-play account of down and distance will be provided verbally over the press box public address system.
Email: Final stat packets and post-game quotes will be emailed to everyone who requested them through the SportsSystems credential application. If media members would like to have the statistics emailed to another address, an email request form needs to be filled out and forwarded to a member of the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl media relations staff by the end of the third quarter.
Internet: Both wired and wireless Internet/email access are available in Independence Stadium. Wi-Fi login information will be provided at each seat. The press box as well as the media room are equipped for both. Technicians from CenturyLink will be on hand beginning two hours prior to kickoff, to help with setup. The Walk-On’s Independence Bowl will provide ethernet cables, if needed.
Outstanding Players: The media will vote for the offensive and defensive players of the game. Ballots will be distributed to the media at the beginning of the third quarter. The ballots will be collected with five minutes remaining in the game.
Meals: A complimentary meal will be served to all working media members beginning two hours before kickoff. All media will be served in the media/interview room, located on ground level in the South Endzone of Independence Stadium.
There will not be any live telecasts or live-streaming from inside the stadium beginning approximately one hour prior to kickoff (2:00 p.m. CT), or as described in the ESPN guidelines. There will be absolutely no live broadcasts during the game. Microwave transmissions are not permitted within the stadium on game day, and all satellite dishes must be positioned outside Independence Stadium in the TV/Satellite parking lot. All highlights of game action must be credited “Courtesy of ESPN.”
Satellite Truck Parking: Parking spaces for satellite trucks adjacent to Independence Stadium are extremely limited. Please contact Catherine Kennedy at (318) 658-5794 as soon as possible to reserve a parking location and site specific needs.
Photo Registration: Photographers with sideline photo credentials must register and secure proper field identification at the beginning of the game at the registration table outside the media workroom in the south endzone. Each photographer will be issued a photo vest, which MUST BE WORN, along with a sideline pass, in plain sight at all times.
Sideline Restriction: Photographers with sideline access are not permitted within the Team Bench Area (inside the 25-yard lines) at any time and must remain behind the restraining line surrounding the field.
Photographer Policies: The Independence Bowl Foundation reserves the right to restrict and/or rescind sideline passes from people who do not follow the above policies.
Outstanding Players: Working media will vote on the Offensive and Defensive Players of the Game in the fourth quarter. The recipients of the awards will be announced to the media at the conclusion of the game.
Field Access: Media members are allowed on the field with five minutes or less remaining in the game. The press elevator will initially leave with six minutes remaining in the game.
Post-Game Interviews: After a brief cooling-off period, the head coaches and select players from each team will be available in the media/interview room, which is located on the ground floor in the south endzone area.
The head coach and players from the losing team will be escorted to the post-game media/interview room approximately 15 minutes after the conclusion of the game.
The head coach and players from the winning team will be escorted to the media/interview room approximately five minutes after the head coach and players from the losing team have finished. Each head coach will make comments and then answer questions from the media. The sports information directors from the participating schools will determine if the locker rooms are open or closed. Media can request which players will be brought to the post-game interview room by filling out the request sheet in the media packet to be issued at the game. It is not guaranteed that every player requested will attend the post-game press conference.
TV Post-Game Coverage: Television stations covering the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl will be allowed to shoot their own video from the media/interview room.
Post-Game Quotes and Statistical Books: Quote sheets from coaches and players attending the post-game interviews will be available to the media immediately following the post-game press conference in the main press box area and in the media/interview room. Statistical books consisting of a scoring summary, individual stats, team stats, quarter stats, descriptive play-by-play, drive charts, defensive stats, coaches and players quotes, and game records will be available as quickly as possible in the main press box area and in the media room. Everyone who requested credentials through SportsSystems will receive all post-game stats/quotes via email, following the game.
Parking passes for media covering the 2019 Walk-On’s Independence Bowl are available, but limited. A desire for a parking pass should be stated on your official credential request. Media parking will be in the Gold and Brown lots.
Independence Bowl Foundation
P.O Box 1723, Shreveport LA 71166 | 401 Market Street, Shreveport, LA 71101 | 318.221.0712